Thursday, June 4, 2009

OCD And Addiction

It's contradictory really. Most people know one or the other. They don't know both. But I know about how drugs feel and how OCD feels. I've suffered from OCD for something like 20 years now, maybe 19 years to be technical, but close enough. And I had my days as a kid where I wasn't too bright in that area, or maybe I was just an angry and belligerant teenager. I really couldn't say which. Anyway, the strange thing is, they're not the same to me at all. You would think that OCD would demonstrate a tendency toward addictive habits and behaviors that don't always make sense, but are repeated anyway out of some strange need. But not really. I always thought so before I hit drugs and before I really thought about it. But though I know that everybody says this, and most people are full of crap when they say it, I've never really been addicted to drugs or anything like that in my life. Yes, I am severely OCD. but it doesn't translate into addictive behaviors for me. And to be honest, I am one of the few people that can say I was never addicted. I had fun with it yes. Sometimes I did more, sometimes less, and I can't say during those lesser times, even at the beginning, that I ever missed it. it was fun, it was nice, my friends and I had a great time. But I never needed it. And when I decided I was done, I was done. I just stopped one day. I never suffered a physical reaction to the sudden stop, which I guess is really unusual, I had no mental desire for it, nothing. I would assume the lack of physical response is more unusual. But either way, whatever the normality, that's how it went for me. My OCD is an entirely different beast. So I can't really say that they're the same thing at all. In fact, I can positively say they're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment