Friday, April 10, 2009

I Couldn't Pass On The Leukemia Gene

A Leukemia gene, now there's a scary thought. I mean when we have a gene for diseases like Huntington's or Multiple Sclerosis, we may not know it till later in life or we may only see it in our family histories. With schizophrenia, we see it pop up in some individuals in the family and not others, but mostly in families. But leukemia, that is something else. Most of these genetic diseases hit us when we're adults, when we're having kids, and sometimes we're afraid of having kids, because of what they might have to go through. With meneers, it is horrible, but it hits in adulthood.
But with leukemia, it often afflicts children. I mean at least with adults, we've had some chance to live our lives and figure it out and all that, and while some of us are not ready, most of us are at a stage where we are mature and we can figure out how to cope, how to deal. But how can you expect a child, a little child to know how to deal with that. And if they do, if they grow up before their time, is that fair to take away their childhood? And then you think about the ones that die. It is tragic when a child dies. But it is more tragic when it is your child. Parents struggle when there is an accident, they fall out of a tree and just get a scratch, they have a fight at school, they get teased, etc. when something happens like them getting run over, you get parents with a horrible guilt complex, because they didn't see their child behind that car, even though they didn't know. When kids get kidnapped, parents hold out hope for years on end, and when the bodies are found, it is a tragedy. But in that time, many parents have time to prepare for the worst.
But when your child dies of leukemia, parents aren't supposed to bury their children. That is not how things are supposed to work! And to watch your child die, every day telling them that everything is going to be fine and they'll get better soon. That is a horrible thing, beyond horrible. I don't know what my genes are, and I feel guilty about bringing a child into the world not knowing that. But if I knew that I carried that leukemia gene, I wouldn't be able to do it. With adult diseases, I might justify it to myself and hope that by the time they reach that age some however many years later, they will have found the cure, discovered new things, etc. But with leukemia, even if there were better innovations, if they were not 100%, I could not do that to a child, let alone to myself and the father.

No comments:

Post a Comment