Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Modesty

There is so much focus on the modesty of how you dress. They always talk about it, they even create swimming suits, dresses, clothes, etc to be "modest." But a lot of modesty for me has nothing to do with looks, but rather behavior. I mean really. Behavior is important. You could dress like a nun all the time. But if you're self righteous all the time, always focusing on what everybody else is doing wrong, I wouldn't call that modest. Likewise, if you were running around like some girls I've seen, sleeping around or just putting it out there in general, I wouldn't call that modesty. And the fact that in a lot of countries that stress modesty of dress, it's a double standard. The only ones really expected to cover up and dress "modestly" are women. Women have to cover their faces and heads in extreme cases as well as their ankles, everything but the eyes. But men can reveal far more parts of the body and be considered fine. in fact I've never heard of men in any culture being referred to as "modest" or "immodest." So really, it is a double standard that I don't really have respect for and a definition that really only covers the smallest part of what it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment