Friday, May 1, 2009

Something Wrong WIth The Diet Industry

I swear, there is something seriously wrong with the diet pill industry. I mean really. We seem to go through one ban after another, and we never learn anything from it. Some diet pills like Dexatrim. I think that one went through at least 3 different bans! Isn’t that ridiculous? One of them was on something you find in cold medicines. I mean have you ever really lost weight because of a cold medicine? Not having the cold, but the actual medicine? I haven’t. And yes, there were kids I went to high school with who thought it was cool to drink cold medicine. There was no significant differences in weight because of it.
And then there’s ephedra that has come back now. What is wrong with people? I mean if you’re dead, it isn’t really going to matter if you’re skinny. Maybe when they carry your coffin, it would be easier if you were light. But really, they can take your guts out and stuff you like a turkey if they need to in order to make you light. Or they could just cremate you. Either way, it isn’t going to matter what you weight if you’re dead! I just can’t believe people are buying it. I can see stupid greedy companies making it. But you have to be some kind of idiot to buy it.
And then there was the recent bust of all the companies using prescription drugs. They were relaxants, anti psychotics, stuff like that. They weren’t even prescription diet drugs. I was expecting maybe Phentermine or something when I first heard about it. But no, just ones that have no application to weight loss at all or really….just weird.
And now there’s Hydroxycut. On one hand, I think maybe these people are stupid and suffer from Hepatitis but didn’t want to admit it or just didn’t bother connecting the dots. I think maybe they took a whole bottle all at once. I mean Tylenol can technically cause liver damage in excess. But it’s bad, and realistically, the side effects of caffeine are uncomfortable sometimes, but they’re not this bad. I mean heart attack, stroke, renal failure, seizures, and Rhabdomyolysis. I had to look that one up. But it’s basically the rapid and severe breakdown of the skeletal system! And it can cause kidney damage. They say it can happen due to extreme exercise, after a severe trauma to the body(sometimes years later), earthquakes, bombings, anything that destroys muscle tissue pretty much, obstruction of blood supply to the muscles, electrical shock, severe deficiencies of elements such as carnitine, poisons from heavy metals and venoms from snakes, drug abuse. I fail to see any regular diet pill ingredients in there. I mean some of the drugs found in other ones like Starcaps were anti seizure medications. Even those I don’t think cause that kind of reaction, though the seizures and such as a weird and contradictory thing I could see. And yohimbine, I can see a lot of things wrong with that. But they only have it in their Hydroxycut Hardcore or at least they only list it there. All things considered, I don’t trust any diet pill company to really list all the ingredients right now, especially those with a history like Hydroxycut. Oh, and yohimbine doesn’t actually have anything to do with weight loss, that’s the best part of that part. It has just become an interesting world of diet pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment