Monday, May 4, 2009

Why Golden Girls Is Genius

The Golden Girls was a genius, or so I thought as a kid. I was an unusual kid yes. I chose to watch all the superhero cartoons, I was a girl. I was in the ages of PeeWee Herman, I watched Sesame Street, loved Mr. Rogers, Barney annoyed and scared me all at the same time, my sister was watching Teletubbies at the age of 12, which to me made her a freak. I never was forced into I Love Lucy, but I liked Golden Girls sometimes. I have a guy friend whose mom loved I Love Lucy, so he has basically memorized every episode. It’s a little weird. But Golden Girls, there was the mother, who was always a bit crazy to say the least. Then there was there others. One was always like a woman who used to be out on the town all the time and still wanted to be, another was just oddly needy, and there was one who I swore was a man. She was tall, had a certain face, certain build, a certain voice among other things, and I swore she was a man. I was 8 when I decided that.
Now apparently some parents decided that they should get rid of Ernie and Bert because they were gay. First off, they were not gay, and second, so what if they were. They had their nighttime songs and it was cute. No child is going to think oh I bet they’re gay from that. Most adults aren’t weird enough to turn that into a sign that they’re gay. Even now, I don’t see it. I mean I know in the 50’s there was drama over sitcoms that showed married couples going to bed and turning off the lights….ooooh. But come on. I think I watched Sesame Street up until I was 5, maybe 6, and that’s a big maybe. I never thought of that, nor did any of my friends. We didn’t even know what gay was!
But anyway, back to Golden Girls. At 8, I had decided that she was a man, her real name is Bea Arthur. Ironically, Golden Girls started up the same year I was born, though late in that year and I was born earlier. But I loved all the characters, and as far as sex changes, I hadn’t quite worked out all the fine mechanics of what that would take and what that would mean. It just was. But if you remember Blanche Deveraux was young, ambitious(sexually speaking), a playgirl of sorts or at least an older playgirl, etc. Rose Nylund had come from Minnesota to Miami, and she was a bit batty. She was apparently supposed to be Norwegian-American from the upper Midwest. Sophia Petrillo was the oldest, the mother of Dorothy, the one I always thought was a man. She was crazy, made some inappropriate jokes at times, but was by far my favorite character. And Dorothy was the tall one who seemed to show a kind of “Jewish humor” from what I am told now. Either way, wrapped all into one show, this was a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment