Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Homosexuality Is Not A Disease

I saw a blog recently that was talking about how you could keep your child from turning to homosexuality. This made me so sick, and I had to wonder if this person, if this individual actually had children and if one of those children had ever come to the conclusion that they were gay.
At this point, I am not gay. But some of my best friends have been, and frankly, some of my closest friends who I share everything with, even basic emotions with, have been, are gay, and I’ve seen some of what they have gone through with their families. It breaks my heart, because I see so many things with them that I would not wish on somebody I hated let alone somebody I care so much about.
I watched my best friend in the world become estranged from his sister. When his father disowned him, it wasn’t such a big deal, because his father had always been a jerk, and he had always known it was coming. His dad was the ultimate homophobe since the time he was born and before. So there was no way he could deny or avoid it. They never had a relationship, and when kids started telling him he was gay, he had a really hard time with it, partly because he was so afraid still at that time what his dad would do if he was gay and if he found out. That is no way for any child to have to live. And then I introduced him to a group of my buddies at the time, all of whom were either gay or bisexual, except for me. So in that regard, I was the minority. But I was always the minority in other ways, so it didn’t particularly bother me. But for him, when he started associating with that group, it was like something clicked with him that he didn’t have to be afraid anymore. He had asked me before that what I would think if he was gay, and I always told him that it wouldn’t make any difference for me on how I felt about him, the love I had for him as my friend, or anything else. His biggest fears I think were one losing his sister, and two losing me as a friend. When he saw that, it was an eye opening confirmation like she’s not just saying this. Unfortunately, when he came out, his sister, the other person he was worried about, wanted nothing to do with him and basically disowned him with the rest of the family. So I became his family in a way, and I was with him while he got back on his feet and figured out what he was going to do.
The point is homosexuality is not a disease, it’s not a curse, it’s not a bad decision you can teach your child and keep them from making. It is the way some people are made, it is a way of being, it is what it is. And I frankly, someone being homosexual does not make them any less of a family member, a friend, someone you love, someone you know. It would just be great if people could remember that every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment