Monday, April 6, 2009

Part 2: My Religion

After everything that happened when I was really young, during it, before it, after it, we moved around a lot. We stayed in one house a grand total of 2 weeks. I never knew exactly why that particular stay was so short. Anyway, during that time, we basically moved in between communities where all the kids were pretty much white and pretty much mormon. I went to a Korean culture camp in the summers, where I had the majority of my childhood friends. Kids are rough yes, but apparently kids in my areas were especially brutal. I think I first got called by a racial slur in kindergarten. My mom's approach was just ignore them, my dad's approach was fight back. I gotta tell you, fighting back worked much better.

Anyway, in areas where any religion is the predominant religion, I can guarantee those kids will be the brattiest, because they are among their own and most comfortable. Mormon kids did not disappoint. When I moved to the elementary school we finally stayed at, the first kid who was ever nice to me was not a mormon, but a jehovah's witness. All the mormons wanted nothing to do with me. Only after she had befriended me for months did they start to come around. We're still friends to this day, and she was the reason I looked into being a Jehovah's witness for a time. The missionaries that came to our door throughout the years were always really nice too. During this time came the day when my Grandma, who had really been one of the only secure things in my life up to that point died. Again, I was on the train to try to just ask God to be there with me, to comfort me, not bring her back or anything. But there was no response, nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment